Monday 11 July 2011

July 11 - Chris Whiting for Mayor

Today I announced I will run for Mayor in 2012 at Moreton Bay Regional Council.  I've put the whole text of speech here for you to read for yourself:

“It is an honour and a pleasure to be here today.

“It is a glorious day, a day that reminds me why I came to live here in the first place.

“I first moved here in 1998, to Deception Bay, to start a new chapter in my life.

“Soon I was captivated by potential of the place, and the fierce pride felt by the community.

“I soon adopted that pride, and championed the virtues of my community to everyone.

“But I could see that things needed to change.

“In 1999, after many hours of listening to my opinions on how we could improve our community, my late friend Ian Burgett said ‘Well, why don’t you run for Council?’

“I did, I won, and I hope I have served you well.

“I still serve my community as Councillor because, simply, I believe in it.

“I still believe in our region, and in our communities.  Twelve years on, I feel even stronger about serving my community.

“I know there is no better place to call home and settle down.

“Nowhere else is more secure, more peaceful, more affordable, for you and your family.

“Nowhere else gives you such potential to make a great start in life.

“Then why is it that many of my fellow neighbours and fellow residents are uneasy about the direction of our local Council?

“They still believe in our region.  They still have that fierce pride.

“They still have high hopes for our local communities, but they feel something is not right.

“They feel we are slipping behind.

“I share that concern, and that disquiet.

“I cannot allow our communities to slowly slide backwards and see other regions move ahead of us.

“Many residents share with me a strong belief in our region, but I see many residents are losing faith in this Council.

“They look at the management of disasters, the level of support for local sport, even the simple filling of potholes on local roads.

“They shake their heads and yearn for real action, real change and real leadership.

“They think their local council can do better.

“I believe I can change things for the better.  And that is why I am running for Mayor in 2012.

“Here is why I believe I am the best choice for Mayor in 2012.

“I have proven I will stand up for residents.  I have spoken out about the water rebates and water prices, supporting local sports, and disaster management.

“I will prove I can lead, and I am resolute and determined to succeed.

“I have the experience, I have the energy.  I have been a councillor for 11 years, but I feel energised and ready for the next step.

“But I am the best choice for Mayor because of the direction I have in mind for this Council.

“Here are the three things I offer to you as Mayor.

“One.  Better service to the community.  Residents feel their level of services has dropped.

They feel their parks are not maintained as well as they were before, roads are being left as pothole patches, and it takes months to take down a simple sign from a tree.

“Two.  More say in your Council.  That means better engagement with our community.  We will let you set priorities, not just tell you what Council is doing.

My Council will belong to the people, not developers.

“Three.  Better financial direction.  As your rates and water bills have climbed, so has Council debt.

Tens of millions are being spent on projects you did not vote for.

Yet where is the investment in the areas that need new community centres?  Where is in the investment in your local sporting facilities?

“When you think about me as your Mayor, think about what I stand for.  And that is ‘Community First’.

“Families in our communities, businesses in our communities, are telling me they are doing it tough.

“They want new leadership, they want things to change.

“If you want a change for the better, you start at the top.

“And if you want that change, lend me your support and give me your vote.”



No comments:

Post a Comment