Friday 1 February 2013

Mr Darcy Vexed by 14 September Election


"Mr Darcy wants to talk to me? Hmmm ..." photo smh.com.au
ANOTHER election!  I'd like to say 'get ready for it', but that would be condemning you to the campaign equivalent of an ultra marathon.

It is decidedly unusual to announce an election so far away, but it seems there were so many circumstances to meet, and so many events to dodge.

There was the agreement with the Independents to meet, the Senate half election requirements, and the need to avoid footy finals.
"I await your response, Ms Gillard"

One event the Prime Minister failed to consider was the annual 'Picnic At Pemberley', a Jane Austen-themed event at the Abbey Museum.

This gracious and elegant fundraiser will happen at the Abbey Museum on 14 September, the same day as the Federal election.

Mr Darcy, who will be hosting the event, has therefore called on the Prime Minister to help keep the guests in the tent.  Here's what he said in a blog on the Abbey Museum website:

Mr Darcy calls for polling booth at Picnic at Pemberley

Mr Darcy has appealed to Prime Minister Julia Gillard to set up a polling booth for the Federal election at his ‘Picnic At Pemberley’ on 14 September 2013.

Mr Darcy will be holding the annual ‘Picnic At Pemberley’ in the grounds of the Abbey Museum at Caboolture also on 14 September.

“I confess I am astonished that Ms Gillard has designed to call this ballot on the same day as my ‘Picnic At Pemberley’”, said Mr Darcy.

“I do understand the need for an election.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a country in possession of good fortune must be in want of regular democratic elections.

“I do not blame Ms Gillard for this oversight.  I do ardently admire a woman of strong opinions.

“However I find it vexing that she has imposed this election upon us at this important date.

“My annual picnic is one of the most important fundraising events for the highly esteemed Abbey Museum.

“I am willing to suffer this election, this triennial trooping of politicians whom I suspect occasionally profess opinions that are not their own.

“But I am not willing to endure my guests being wrenched away from their festivities to cast their votes.

“I shall apply henceforth to Ms Gillard for the indulgence of creating a polling booth at “Picnic at Pemberley” on 14 September,” said Mr Darcy.
You can find the original blog here.

For more information about ‘Picnic At Pemberley’, visit us at
http://www.abbeymuseum.com.au/event/picnic-at-pemberley or
http://pinterest.com/abbeymuseum/picnic-at-pemberley/
Follow Chris on Facebook, Twitter or   


Blogarama - The Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment