Friday 28 September 2012

I Lunched with the Red Hat Ladies (and Survived)


“MEET ME with my friends at Gallopers Sports Club,” instructed my mother.

“Your friends?  Who are they?”

“They are ... the Red Hat Ladies,” she said with a dramatic pause.

Gulp.  That is an intimidating social occasion for any male, or anyone under 50.  Lunch with feisty older ladies bedecked in red hats and purple dresses, determined to be noticed and heard.

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

Who are the Red Hat ladies?  Pay heed and respect if you see them out and about.  They are not a mad gaggle of nannas, but a local offshoot of the biggest women’s social network in the world.

The Red Hat Society started out in the USA in 1998, when founder Sue Ellen Cooper discovered a red hat in a thrift shop and decided to spread the good cheer.

She found the poem “Warning” by Jenny Joseph, and that was a catalyst to add the purple and get active.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit.

Now there are 40,000 Red Hat chapters around the world, stacked with intelligent, curious and outspoken women.  A woman becomes a Red Hatter when she decides she is not going to be invisible, and is going to have a voluble good time.  

The first Red Hatter I discovered was my friend Jan Macintyre, a former equal opportunity officer, and a woman of courage with a wicked sense of humour.  I was not surprised to find my chatty and MENSA-minded mother was also a member.

 Can't see my Mum. Photo Nicholas Falconer Sunshine Coast Daily.
I made sure I dressed neatly and polished my shoes.  I walked in to Gallopers with my near-two-year-old son and conversation paused.  Many sets of piercing eyes snapped onto me.

I could nearly hear them thinking “Who is this male?  Not another one about to dump a squawking grandchild on us!”

But once they saw I was prepared to engage in serious and insightful conversation, they peppered me with sharp questions.

They had years of work experience in the public and private sectors, and are not afraid to issue prickly barbs about politics.

The manager came over and with a big smile, said hello and asked … how was the meal?

The smile became somewhat fixed as the Red Hatters, naturally, freely gave him their opinion on how to improve the meal and service.

The laughter and the hearty giggles resumed.  I quietly sat on the edge of the group and the conversations as I fretted about Guy, who daintily smeared his hands over the glass wall panels.

“Just let him roam free,” one said, waving her cake fork and smiling.  “Can’t get into too much trouble here.  Carpet on the floor and he can’t get out.”

Common sense and words of wisdom.  If you see a group of ladies out in red hats, have a chat and have a listen.  Carefully.

Follow Chris on Facebook, Twitter or   


Blogarama - The Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment