Thursday 24 March 2011

March 21

Reflections.  I am riding to work during March because I think we need to change how we live our lives.  I want others to think about some choices in their lives as well.

 Monday was a day you think about your choices in life. I saw a man suffer an injury that will take months to heal.  I saw another man unconscious on the road, his life ebbing away.

We all have choices.  Not only about how we get from one point to another, but how we behave when doing it.  We take risks, we race, we do things we later regret.

Riding back from Beachmere lake, there was a man sitting in the middle of the pathway, next to his bike and looking stunned. Do you need help, I asked, and he groaned yes.

He had fallen off his bike and damaged his knee.  He could not stand, and I guessed he had snapped a ligament in his knee or his thigh.

I called an ambulance, dragged him to sit against a fence, and waited in the sun with him.  A neighbour walked his bike home, and the ambulance arrived.

The second time I saw an ambulance on Monday was when one arrived at the scene of a terrible accident on Deception Bay Road.  A young man lay on the road, after having fallen out of a car, suffering what clearly were dire injuries.

Brian Hayes, Arthur Hayes and I, all from Deception Bay Lions Club, were amongst first on the scene.  We directed traffic, called 000, and tried to comfort the family when they arrived.  Brian Hayes and a passing doctor took turns to perform CPR.

When I got home, I just walked into my son's room and stared at him for as long as I could stand.

I know what I am doing with this bike riding thing is right.  Somethimes we just have to change how we live our lives, whether it is for our planet's future, or simply for the future of our loved ones.

Reflections. We need to make sure we travel safely, get to where we are going in a way that doesn't put ourselves at risk, nor put others in danger.

We need to make the right choices, the big ones and the little ones, everyday, in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment